Snow Day Collision

Snow Day Collision

During my snow day I made an 8 ball and a tennis ball collide. The 8 ball has a mass of .16 kg and the tennis ball has a mass of .18 kg. Both of these were found from online sources because I did not have access to a scale. After I had the masses of each ball, I took a video of the two colliding. This was an elastic collision. In the experiment I am trying to find the final velocity of the 8 ball. I recorded the video and plugged it into logger pro.



Logger Pro gave me an approximate speed of the 8 ball, the initial velocity was about 0.61 m/s and a final velocity of about 0.0874 m/s. The softball of the other hand had an initial velocity of 0 m/s  and a final velocity of 0.16 m/s. 

To find the conservation of energy I used the equation:

m1v1 + m2v2 = m1v1f + m2v2f

By using this equation I can find the amount of Kinetic Energy lost (if there is any). 


As seen in the calculations above, barely any Kinetic Energy was lost. The small percentage was most likely human error in made taking the video and in logger pro. 


Comments

Popular Posts