Ice Hockey As A Pencil Among Pens


One of the freezing days of the school break was perfect for ice skating with friends. The only benefit of the dreaded cold air was not having the fear of falling through the ice. The only problem I have on the ice, besides the cold air, is being the skinniest guy in a game of hockey. From Newtons Second Law of Motion, we know that a plastic wiffleball has a much smaller magnitude than a regular baseball. In order for a person with my kind of mass to have any chance of taking down a large friend, they must skate fast to make up for the weight.

We know that F = dp/dt = ma, and to figure out the result of collisions you can just use F = ma.

Here is a situation where I am an equal distance from the puck with my friend and we skate at the same speed. The collision with a larger friend at the same acceleration: (Not good)


This scenario shows I won't stand a chance against my friends if I'm going to skate at the same speed. Now I need to drink some RedBull, the drink that gives you wings, to beat my opponents to the puck and not get wrecked on the ice. With a 75kg person, I need to increase my acceleration to match the force that they can produce.

F = ma

(75)*(3m/s^2) = 225N

(50)*(x) > 225N

x > 4.5m/s^2

Comments

Popular Posts